Thursday, September 20, 2012

Tick Tock...Finding Time for Everything

To say that I am "busy" is a massive understatement.  Below is a typical Thursday for me:
  • 4:45-5:45am:   wake and let dog out (or rather open the door, watch the dog stand on the porch looking for something to bark at, beg the dog to "go pee pee" and then trick her back into the house with a piece of banana)
  • 5:45-6:45am:   bootcamp workout in the dark with twelve other crazy people
  • 6:45am-7:45am:   contemplate calling out of work...when I realize I don't have any more leave, peel myself off the edge of the bed, shower, get dressed, go to work.
  • 7:45am-4 or 5ish pm:    work...
  • 5-6pm:   be entertained by all the crazies on the metro as I travel to class
  • 6:15-8:45pm:   class
  • 8:45-9:30pm:   more entertainment on the metro, but less amused because I want to be home already...
  • 10pm:   maybe eat something or down a bottle of wine...and then PASS The EFF OUT!
Me when I get home...(if you can't tell by now, I LOVE gifs)
image
Now...in the middle of that full day do you see any time allotted for "writing?"  I don't.  Maybe if I put my nose to the screen, squinted my eyes, or got out some binoculars I can find it somewhere in between the lines.  *Looking...looking...*  Sigh, it ain't there. 

I will admit, not every day of the week is like this.  Thursdays suck a major one.  Some evenings I am at home, so I try to write then or on the weekends.  Although, I can't say I write something or work on my WiP everyday, which I read somewhere is what successful authors do.   Apparently, I'm doomed as a writer.  In fact, Steven King, who people seem to poo poo, but makes bank nonetheless, says in his book On Writing, that a writer should produce at least 1000 words a day on his/her project and that he writes every single day, even holidays.  Yeah, that's pretty much impossible for me and I don't even have kids to blame it on.

imageSo, what do I do?  Well, I write in between work projects, on my lunch break, doodle plot outlines during meetings, and I don't watch TV anymore.  I lock myself in my office and try not to think about what's happening on Louie and write as much as I can before I fall asleep in my chair.  If I'm in the bathroom or on the train, I am reading or editing something.  Basically, I try to use any extra minute I have to write.  Right now, I'm 60,000 words in (since July)!

So how do you guys do it?  How do you find the time to do what it is that you enjoy, to work on projects, to finish that novel or short story, to eat, to rest?  How do you make it happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment